The UKCGE enables collective leadership by providing an evidence-led and trusted voice for the postgraduate sector
Providing advocacy and support
The UK Council for Graduate Education:
- advocates for equity and inclusiveness in postgraduate education and research
- promotes continuing professional development and recognition for staff supporting and supervising postgraduate students and doctoral researchers
- encourages the effective management of postgraduate education and research by sharing innovations and effective practices
Vision | Mission | Values
An equitable and inclusive postgraduate sector which delivers academic excellence and offers high-quality supervision, effective leadership and outstanding professional services.
To enable collective leadership on the development of postgraduate education and research and to provide an evidence-led and trusted voice for the postgraduate sector.
We are run ‘by the sector, for the sector’. Our values are: mutuality, openness, collegiality, and joint enterprise.
What We Are Doing: 2021–2025
Strengthening our representation of the sector
We will give more opportunities for individuals to contribute to the strategic direction of the Council
Building on our trust and credibility
We will develop our communications through a new website and an annual review to ensure that our stakeholders retain their confidence in our effectiveness.
Setting standards and expectations
Building on the success of the Good Supervisory Practice Framework, we will seek opportunities to develop that framework, and to build consensus on other areas of postgraduate education and research.
Sustaining the impact of our events
We will take a more thematic approach to our events programme to create a sustained momentum on key issues
Developing our role as a knowledge exchange facilitator
We will stimulate and disseminate the latest research and thinking on postgraduate education and research
Download the Strategic Plan
The full strategic plan includes:
- Information about the Council and our purpose.
- Statistics about the postgraduate sector and the Council’s role within it.
- How we plan to deliver on our vision and how we will measure impact.